Saturday, May 18, 2013

Monday Morning

Last weekend was Mother's Day and we had a lot of fun. I made a peanut butter oatmeal chocolate chip scones. They were tasty and fairly easy to make. The recipe is originally found here. Of course I made a few modifications, but they turned out rather well and everyone liked them. They are so good that when we go places for vacations I'm contemplating making some before hand so that I can eat them while on vacation.

Yield: 12 scones
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour --  2/3 C Sorghum, 1/3 C Arrowroot, 1/3 C Oat, 2/3 C Rice
1 cup traditional rolled oats
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons (3 ounces) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
¾ cup buttermilk -- Sour Cream
1 egg, separated
½ cup chunky peanut butter --Its peanut butter, just make sure it is room temperature and will mix well
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Raw sugar, for sprinkling -- Cinnamon Sugar

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
2. In a large bowl  Mixer, whisk together the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Add the butter and mix until it looks like corn meal or pie crust before you add water.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk sour cream and the egg yolk -- I used a 2 C measuring cup and simply used it to mix the stuff together.
4. Make a well in the flour mixture and pour the buttermilk mixture into the center of the well, then add the peanut butter. Using a rubber spatula, very gently fold the mixture together until it starts to come together. Add the chocolate chips and gently knead with your hands (in the bowl) until just incorporated.  Pour the sour cream/egg mixture into the mixer and mix on low until just mixed. Fold in the chocolate chips with a spatula. Be careful not to overmix the dough.
5. Turn the dough out onto the parchment-lined baking sheet and pat it into a round disk about 8 inches in diameter. Whisk the egg white, then brush the top of the dough with the egg white, and sprinkle with the additional sugar.
6. Cut the dough into wedges (do not separate them -- I separated mine and they lost a bit of their shape) and bake for 18 to 22 minutes, or until the scones are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with just a few crumbs attached. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes, then re-slice and separate them. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, or serve slightly warm. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.

After Sunday comes Monday though, and we had a Monday. No sooner had I walked into work and turned on my computer did I get a call from my manager to go to A's day school. I didn't get a reason or anything, just to go. I did and A was jumping (with a chair involved somehow) and managed to put one tooth through her lip completely and a second one almost all the way through. All of the teeth looked fine and she was bleeding a little. I was against taking her to the emergency room because clearly she wasn't in pain or anything really, it was just oozing a bit. I felt strong-armed but did it anyway. I took her to urgent care as a compromise and it took three hours. Ugh. However, they ended up glueing her lip back and off we went. The worst part was numbing the lip, but that was over quickly. Here are a couple of pictures from our first Urgent Care trip:

Oozing blood and such

After we were going back to school, she was hungry and tired and not sure what to think about the lip. The white spot is the numb area.

No comments:

Post a Comment