Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Water Woes

Since it has been a bit over a week I suppose I'll post something. I'm currently "hiding" from Chris and A as he tries to get her to sleep. She ate an entire tortilla dipped in salsa with some tomatoes for dinner. She's gotten pretty good about eating food and eats a LOT of it when she does. Chris says she is definitely destined to be a skinny white girl because of how she eats. (He says to never underestimate exactly how much the skinny white girl can eat, because she'll eat everyone at the table under it if allowed.) She has finished cutting all four of her front teeth, but they aren't entirely in yet. She is also going through a nice growth spurt. She is getting ready to walk as well. She has started creeping along things she doesn't have to hold on to (like walls) so walking alone isn't far behind. She just likes to get there so fast by crawling that she doesn't want to take time to learn to walk. Anytime she thinks she is going somewhere she isn't supposed to be she goes super fast and makes a lot of noise. It is funny and cute. She did it a lot at the library this morning. She kept crawling down the wide stairs and then jetting to a doll house. I didn't mind her looking and playing with the dolls, just her putting them in her mouth.

Our biggest problem the past week (well really since we moved here) is the blasted water. In a nutshell, it just doesn't act right. This has made the diapers waterproof a time or two. We've tried changing the water pH (acidic with vinegar, basic with baking soda) as well as temperature to get powders dissolved. However, anytime we put a powdered detergent in our machine it takes one wash to get the diapers to be water resistant if not waterproof. And waterproof diapers are what all people need, right? Chris says he has trouble making very simple solutions at work because the solids won't dissolve, as in it may take him 30 minutes to get a solid to dissolve that should dissolve when it hits the water. When we check the water report the city posts, it says there are <2.5 ppm TDS, which means the water has nothing dissolved in it. However, it doesn't exactly act like "soft" water should. Granted it does dry a bit more with showers and such, but it never leaves the "film" I'm used to feeling with soft water. We've tried varying the amount of detergents we use. Our conclusion thus far is that a powdered detergent won't work, so it has to be a liquid. We'd ideally like a liquid we could use for all of our clothes (so not an exorbitant price) not just our diapers. However, the liquid we used in IL (All Free and Clear) is now giving her rashes when we use it. And it all relates to the blasted water. I'm really beginning to wonder if the water report is right or not. If the water is "saturated" with dissolved solids it would be quite hard and couldn't hold any more "solids" dissolving. Anyway, from what I've been able to tell, no one can tell me what the problem is.

We got a fair amount of snow yesterday and A and I started to make a snowman. However, she felt it would be much more fun to attempt standing on the ball and promptly crushed it. Then she decided she was too cold and wanted to come inside. So, no snowman made here.

Anyway, I can apparently go clean the kitchen and things now since A has been put to bed and Chris is at his computer.

1 comment:

  1. You might try the 7th Generation detergent. I don't know how it compares to other baby detergents, but I do know that it works just fine in hard water. Because the water here is very definitely hard water. On bad days I get no soap suds at all.

    ReplyDelete