So this past week has been one of the best, most exhausting weeks for all three of us now. I keep thinking that I'll sit down and write up the labor story, as I'd really like to, but always end up wanting to sleep and that takes a bit of priority. Right now I'm waiting on the wash to finish so I can grab a nap while A sleeps. She's currently in a milk coma on my chest so the years of bad typing practice with one hand are coming in handy.
A was born last Tuesday (May 17) very very early (107 am). She was punctually on her due date (well we had both May 16 and 17 given to us as due dates) and we stayed in the hospital until Thursday. We were admitted to the hospital last Monday as my water broke when we went for a short walk. Every one has been shocked by the amount of hair she has -- from the nurses to the people we saw as we were leaving the hospital to the people at church. She weighed 7.53 lbs (about 7 lbs 8 ounces) and was 19 inches long. Most of last week is a blur for both Chris and me as we were up for over 24 hours Monday and then with me being in the hospital and Chris sleeping at home yet bringing me food, it all went by rather fuzzily. It is a good fuzzy, but fuzzy nevertheless. It was stressful for all, so I suppose fuzzy is to be expected.
Chris has started going back into work most days, for at least a few hours. He doesn't like having to leave us here, but is willing to to help us all get into a routine. I feel really badly that I have to stay home some days while he goes to work, but someone has to keep working in this family. He continues to have interviews and is talking with several people about a possible job change, so pray that something good comes through. There are a few possible things up in the air right now, and a couple that would be perfect.
While I don't like Chris leaving for the day, it helps me to have the time alone with A and get organized on how to do things at home versus in the hospital. It is quite nice to not have her taken for vitals every few hours and she is slowly learning to sleep through the night. While we were in the hospital she was in my room except to have her vitals taken since we were learning to breast feed and all. Right now she is waking up hungry about every three hours, so we're excited about that. She doesn't seem to do much except sleep, but that's normal for someone just a week old. She is overall a quiet baby thus far, hopefully it will hold out. She doesn't really complain about much and doesn't even seem to have a "witching hour" that infants are known for. She simply likes to sleep, nurse, and cuddle. She seems to be a non-picky cuddler who will cuddle with anyone if given the chance. She'd cuddle with the nurses at the hospital even, so that's excited news! Granted she occasionally will want me (and is starting to want Chris) over other people, but that's okay with us for now.
One thing we've had to do is change from the disposable diapers to cloth diapers. There were a couple of days in the hospital where her bum looked kind of irritated with the diapers. Now that we've got her home a lot of the diapers just made it worse. It didn't really matter if we let her go diaperless for hours at a time, any time we'd put a new diaper on her, the skin wouldn't be happy at the next diaper change. I was looking at doing cloth diapers as soon as she can fit into all-in-ones, so we were more or less ready for this type of thing. Chris though is the one who really pushed for trying out the cloth diapers now, as opposed to waiting, and he really likes them. I like them too, but most importantly, A seems to like them as she's not having any trouble with irritated skin at all.
This coming week several members of Chris's family will be coming to visit, so there will be lots of pictures I'm sure to share. We're excited to see everyone and to share A with family. Anyway, I've now had this sitting at my computer half of the day (so I'm learning to not be obsessive about things) and need to go feed myself so that I can feed Alexis. Then she'll probably go into another milk coma. Hopefully she'll be awake some of the day though, particularly the part when Chris is home so that we can play a bit with her!
No comments:
Post a Comment